Ashley Hotovec | July 17th, 2023
So, we all know that traveling as a healthcare worker is an amazing adventure filled with new places, awesome people, and a sweet paycheck. But let’s keep it real: managing your finances on the go can be a bit tricky.
Here are some practical tips for financial planning as a travel healthcare worker:
- Set financial goals. What do you want to achieve with your hard-earned cash? Is it saving up for a down payment on a house? Crushing those pesky debts? Or maybe retiring early to sip margaritas on the beach? Once you know your goals, let’s come up with a game plan to make them happen.
- Create a budget. Now, I know budgeting doesn’t sound super exciting, but trust me, it’s a game-changer. Create a budget to track your income and expenses, so you know exactly where your money is going. There are plenty of budgeting methods out there, so find one that vibes with your style and stick to it like your favorite playlist.
- Take advantage of tax deductions. As a traveler, you’re in luck because you may qualify for some sweet tax deductions. That means more money in your pocket to crush your financial goals.
- Save for retirement. Yes, even if you’re just starting out, it’s never too early to start saving for retirement. Explore different retirement savings plans that fit your needs and budget. Future you will thank you!
- Build an emergency fund. Life throws surprises at us but having an emergency fund will be your secret weapon. Aim to stash away enough cash to cover at least three to six months of living expenses. It’s like having a financial safety net for those unexpected moments.
And here are some extra tips for our travel nurses:
- Milk those benefits! Don’t forget to take advantage of the perks offered by your travel nursing agency. They often have 401(k) plans, health insurance, and more, saving you some serious cash.
- Negotiate like a pro! Jobs like yours are in high demand, so don’t be afraid to negotiate your pay. Do your research, find out what other healthcare workers in your specialty and location are earning, and go get that well-deserved raise!
- Keep an eye on your spending. It’s easy to get carried away when you’re exploring new places, so be mindful of your spending habits. Stick to your budget and avoid impulse buys.
- Feeling overwhelmed? Get some expert help! If the financial jargon is making your head spin, consider reaching out to a financial advisor. They can help you create a personalized financial plan that suits your needs and goals.
In a nutshell, financial planning is your ticket to success as a travel healthcare worker. By following these tips, you’ll have a handle on your finances, crush your goals, and continue enjoying the incredible journey of your travel career. Happy traveling!
If you aren’t already heading to your next assignment, let’s chat!
Email [email protected] to get connected with a recruiter!
Like what you’re reading? Read more here: Tips and Tricks for a Month-Long Break as a Travel Nurse