Ashley Hotovec | May 29th, 2023
As a travel nurse, you enjoy the flexibility of exploring new places while pursuing your passion for nursing. However, managing your finances can feel like a daunting task, especially when you want to take a month off to recharge between assignments. Taking 30 days off without pay can seem intimidating, but with the proper planning it can definitely be done! Follow these steps to learn more about some budgeting tips and tricks and how to plan for a well-deserved month-long break.
Get Real about your Saving Goals
In order to know how much to save, you need to know where you plan on going during your break. Consider your living expenses and adventure plans and choose a savings goal. Once you have a number in mind, break it down into monthly savings targets. You’ve got this!
Tip: If you have leftover money from your tax-free housing and food stipends, pocket the remaining and use it towards your vacation!
Embrace Frugal Living
- Travel with a friend and split rent
- Pick up a travel assignment where you know you have family
- Explore alternative housing options such as:
- Reduce unnecessary expenses:
- Cook at home and pack meals for work
- Carpool to work
- Use public transportation
- Free or low-cost activities in your area
Tip: Just because you’re being frugal doesn’t mean you have to be boring! Get creative on your days off, host new friends by throwing a game night, movie marathon, or even an at-home wine tasting!
Become a Budgeting Guru
- Create a monthly budget and track your spending.
- Allocate money for essential expenses such as rent, groceries, and utilities.
Tip: Keep costs in check when it comes to spending money on fun stuff – find the perfect balance between treating yourself and minimizing your costs on assignment. You want to make sure you have enough $$$ for flights, hotels, and excursions for your trip!
Supplement your Income
- Consider an extension and work for another 13 weeks (great opportunity for a bonus!)
- Sign up for overtime hours. Hustle and get that extra cash!
- Refer a friend and get a $600 bonus
- Complete 2,000 regular hours and receive a $1,200 bonus
Tip: Pick up a side gig! Whether it’s starting a travel blog, finally opening that Etsy shop, or taking part in telehealth nursing – a little extra income can go a long way!
Take Advantage of your Benefits
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life insurance starting day one
- Explore some new areas of expertise and get reimbursed for your licensure fees
- 401k with match
- Tax-free stipends
Tip: Different agencies offer different levels of coverage. It’s important you decide what’s most important to you and what benefits will support you in your financial goals. At Focus Staff, you will always have a dedicated team backing you up 😊
If you aren’t already heading to your next assignment, let’s chat! 😊
Email [email protected] to get connected with a recruiter!